Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What should we make for dinner tonight?

This conversation from earlier today came to mind when I saw the Big Words from Little Foodies post on a blog that I follow, Food With Kid Appeal. Jenna from Food With Kid Appeal asked for funny comments kids make about food and a recipe.

I was talking to the kids about their Grandma & Grandpa coming over for dinner tonight. I asked what we should have for dinner. We chatted about some ideas and then Mason had a suggestion. Here's how that went.

"What should we make for our dinner with Grandma Hallie & Grandpa Terry tonight?" I asked.

"Beedonna," was Mason's reply.

"What did you say? Beedonna?"

"Leedonda," he said a bit louder and slower.

"Leedonda? What's that?"

"No! I said Lee-zon-da!" he shouted, now feeling frustrated by his ignorant mother.

I pondered this for a minute and then it hit me - lasagna! "Oh, you want to make lasagna for dinner? Great idea!"

"Yessss!!!" he groaned with a look on his face that said: Duh, Mom, I just said that three times.

Don't you love conversations with a three year old? He did have a great dinner suggestion though. Here's my lasagna recipe. I usually double the sauce and save half to have with spaghetti another night. I got the idea to mix the meat like you would for meatballs from a show on the Food Network and it tastes great.

Lasagna (also known as Lee-zon-da)
1 package oven-ready Lasagna noodles
1/2 lb. ground lean turkey
1/2 lb. italian sausage (sometimes I use turkey sausage)
1/4 c. bread crumbs
16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
16 oz. can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
dash salt & pepper
2 c. ricotta cheese
2 eggs
3/4 c. parmesan cheese
1 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese

Directions: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ground turkey & sausage with one egg and breadcrumbs. Prepare the meat sauce by browning the meat mixture in a large skillet, crumbling it into bite size pieces. Drain any grease from the pan. Add garlic, 1/2 tsp. basil, 1/2 tsp. oregano and tomatoes. Stir together and simmer while preparing the remaining ingredients.
Mix ricotta, 1/2 c. parmesan, 1 egg, salt & pepper, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. basil in a large bowl. Then in a 13x9 baking dish spread a layer of meat sauce. Next place 3 pieces of pasta evenly in a flat layer and top the pasta with a layer of the cheese mixture, then meat sauce. Repeat layers two more times. For the final layer use the last 3 pieces of pasta and then top with meat sauce, mozzarella, and remaining parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for for 30 minutes. Then remove foil and bake and additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.







1 comment:

jenna said...

that looks amazing! i am sitting here thinking of when my youngest pointed to my tea and asked me if there was any canfreen in it. it took a couple minutes to figure out that he was asking if it was decaf so he could have a sip.

Post a Comment