Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Whatcha Reading? Book Review Monday

This week's book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson is a new favorite of mine, and what's the best news you can hear when you find a new favorite book? It's part of a series!

This book was highly recommended to me by my best friend (she even gave it to me as a gift). We have similar taste in reading materials so I figured that I would like it. The first few chapters didn't draw me in immediately but quickly after that I was hooked. And I mean really hooked.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a murder mystery unlike any other I've read. The characters are complex but still likable. The plot is fast-paced and full of interesting, sometimes disturbing, details. The story is set in Sweden, which adds a unique background.

This debut novel by Stieg Larsson, who sadly died before his books became bestsellers, is a must-read. Mikael Blomkvist, one of the main characters, is a disgraced journalist chasing the biggest story of his career when he meets a fascinating and secretive young woman, Lisbeth Salander. Salander and Blomkvist embark on a journey to solve a decades old murder mystery.

The novel is a satisfying read but it sets us up for the next book in the triology, The Girl Who Played with Fire. I've just started the second book and so far it has not disappointed me.

If you enjoy mysteries and want to try an intelligent and unique book with a dark edge that combines well-developed characters and classic who-done-it mystery mixed with modern technology and complicated relationships then I highly recommend The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment