Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Welcoming home new baby

Our family was blessed with the arrival of our third child, Ryan Thomas, on March 7th. Now that he's four days old I feel like he's been here forever. How did we ever live without this sweet little guy?


He was born at 4:40 pm, after only 4 fours of labor (and a few difficulties with false labor, see False Labor, Nausea, Incorrect Due Date). He is 7lbs. 7oz. and 20 3/4 inches of pure perfection!

We're all adjusting well to our new family member. Emily and Mason love their little brother so much already. They both cover him with kisses and gentle hugs. Emily's best quote came yesterday when she was holding him. She said wistfully, "I wish I was a grown-up so he could be my baby." 


Mason has been doing great with his big brother role too. Mason wants to hold him a lot just like Emily but his attention span is much shorter. After about 30 seconds he says, "Okay, that's enough. My arms are tired." 




I think that the age difference between the kids is nearly ideal with Mason being almost 4 and Emily being 6 1/2 years old. I hope that the lovey dovey stuff continues for a long time. It's hard to imagine any sibling rivalry but I won't worry about that yet. 

It's been interesting trying to remember all of the newborn care stuff. You'd think that I'd have it down pat by the third time. I'm keeping track of his feedings (at least every three hours), working on helping him get the hang of nursing, and changing lots of little tiny diapers. Thankfully "Grammy" has been here to take care of the big kids while I'm getting used to being a mom to a newborn. Their other grandparents are coming to help next week too. We're so lucky to have wonderful parents.

That would be my number one tip for new moms: find someone who can help you the first week or two. Sometimes moms have trouble letting go of control and asking for help, but it's so incredibly necessary at this time that it's not even funny.

Having a new baby is wonderful, overwhelming, and exciting all at once. It really makes you stop and take time to think about your life and your family. We're enjoying these first few days with Ryan and I'll keep you all posted on any new developments. 

Welcome Baby Ryan!



2 comments:

jenna said...

he is precious. enjoy his tiny tiny tinyness. the newborn stage is soooo fleeting. stopping by to grab a link to green eggs and ham, including it st. patty's day recipe round up!

Unknown said...

Congrats! He is truly precious! I also have three little ones (all boys) and I don't know how I ever lived without them! I found you on the Friday follow - I am your newest follower - hope you can return the favor!

Post a Comment