Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mommy Brain

I was reading through another "mommy" blog recently (http://beingamommy.com/) and there was a post asking if mommy brain gets better. Then I saw a local news story about pregnancy affecting women's brains. That is a topic that hits home for me because I've been having a severe case of mommy brain for a while now - and it only seems to be getting worse. 


In case you're not familiar with the idea of "mommy brain" it basically means that sometimes moms and pregnant women become a bit ditzy and have trouble remembering day to day things that they would normally be right on top of. What causes this? Is it the lack of sleep? Is it hormonal? Is it the anxiety of added responsibility? I don't know for sure but I have been suffering from it quite often lately.


For example, I was shopping at Costco last week and after I paid I couldn't find my debit card. Of course I was in a hurry and felt flustered. I looked through my whole purse and wallet. Then I looked all around the check stand where I paid. I even asked an employee if it had been turned in and she helped me look. Then she suggested I check my wallet again. Lo and behold, there it was - tucked into a random pocket in my wallet. Duh! I had my card the whole time. Mommy brain strikes again!


I've been doing other silly things lately like forgetting what day it is, missing information from Emily's school about upcoming days off and other events, and forgetting my checkbook to pay the babysitter. I've had to start writing out extensive "to do" lists to keep track of simple things like phone calls I need to make so that I won't forget. 


I wonder if my case of mommy brain will get better or worse after the baby arrives? 

No comments:

Post a Comment