Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

How do I get my baby to sleep through the night?

This is a tough question for parents. Here I am on my third child and I still don't really have it figured out. I thought I would, by the way. Ha.

I am at a crossroads. Do I let him "cry it out" or should I bring him to bed with Daddy and I?

I've tried rocking Ryan back to sleep or comforting him while he's in his crib, hoping he would just fall back asleep, as you would expect at 3:00am, but that's not working. In fact, all he wants is to breastfeed when he wakes up.

Here's the advice my pediatrician gave us about getting him to sleep.

1. Put him down to sleep at night still awake. Feed him, change his diaper, rock him briefly, then lay him down while he is sleepy but not asleep yet. (This will teach him to go to sleep on his own.)

2. Do not feed him at night. (Ryan is 6 months old and at a good weight so he doesn't need the extra feedings.)

3. Have Daddy check on him when he wakes up at night. (Removing the option for breastfeeding.)

4. Let the baby cry it out (cry himself to sleep), checking on him every 10 minutes or so.

I know that the doctor's advice will work. The question is whether I want to put myself, my husband, and my baby through the nighttime crying.

I already follow step 1 with no problem. I've tried all the other steps and it has not been going too well. Last night, (technically this morning) Ryan woke up at 1:00am, 3:00am, and 5:00am. Arrghhh!

It sure is a good thing babies are so darn cute and lovable because this not sleeping stuff is the pits.

No comments:

Post a Comment