Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Whatcha Reading Book Review - Your Four Year Old: Wild and Wonderful

"Wild and wonderful" definitely describes my four-year-old!

Dr. Louise Bates Ames has written a whole series of parenting books on specific ages. These books were originally published back in 1989, but much of the advice is just as relevant today. Kids' behavior patterns haven't changed much in twenty years and good parenting techniques haven't either.

Ames has written parenting books about developmental stages, behaviors, and parenting advice for children from one-year all the way up to 14 years. I personally have only read Your Four Year Old: Wild and Wonderful but if you are looking for some parenting tips then you should check out this series for any age child.

What I liked best about this book wasn't the actual advice and tips. It was finding out that my 4-year-old is normal. His wild and crazy behavior, mood swings, and overall goofiness fits right in with what the author describes. In the blink of an eye he goes from being a big boy with polite behavior to a whining, tantrum-throwing maniac. Also, he responds well to definite rules and concrete information.

I thought one of the funniest observations in this book was that four-year-olds are very interested in bathrooms. After reading that I have noticed how true it is. Take a four-year-old to a new place and he or she will inevitably want to check out the bathroom, even if it's just to see what kind of toilet is in there.

After doing a little snooping around online, I noticed that there are quite a few negative reactions to some of the topics in this book series, so be warned that not everyone loves Dr. Ames' advice. Like I think you should do with all advice books, I will take from it what works for me and my family and be happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment